medal users file smartphone

California Intrastate Authority

Obtaining Motor Carrier Permit (MCP, Intrastate Authority) in California is a 3 step process.

  • USDOT Number
  • Carrier Identification Number (CA Number)
  • MCP (Motor Carrier Permit)

An MCP is a document issued by the DMV’s Registration Operations Division. The MCP is issued to the motor carrier as evidence the carrier has registered their CA Number with the DMV, as required by CVC Section 34620. Additionally, the MCP verifies the motor carrier has met all statutory requirements to commercially operate motor vehicles on California's highways. The MCP contains information specific to the motor carrier (e.g., name, mailing address, CA#, and effective/expiration dates of the MCP).

You will need an MCP if:

  • * Any person or business entity that is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size, type, or weight. Entities that transport property for compensation are deemed a 'For-Hire' motor carrier. (Example: If you are a courier service and your vehicle is a motorcycle, you are required to have an MCP.)
  • * Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for commercial or private use, hauling their own goods or property. Entities operating such vehicles are deemed a 'Private' motor carrier.
  • * Operators of any vehicle or a combination of vehicles transporting hazardous materials.
  • * Operators of a combination of a motor truck and trailer, semitrailers, pole or pipe dollies, auxiliary dollies, and logging dollies, that exceeds forty feet in length when coupled together. For the purpose of an MCP, a “trailer” excludes camp trailers, utility trailers, and trailer coaches.
  • * Operators of any motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicle and trailer for which the operation requires a commercial driver license, except vehicle combinations including camp trailers, utility trailers, and trailer coaches.

Order The Package That Will Meet Your Needs

Fleet Management Strategies, One Hour Authority and 1 Hour Process Agents are third party providers of consultive service to assist companies and individuals in acquiring and updating authority, permits and documents required by the Federal Motor Carrier Administration (FMCSA), U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT), State and Local government agencies.

Why One Hour Authority?

  • Established in 2000
  • Registered as a FMCSA Filer
  • Fast, Reliable Customer Service
  • Benefit From Certified Compliance Advisors
  • One Stop For Your Authority Needs
  • Our Resources Provide Results